- FATE Foundation in partnership with Youth Business International is pleased to launch the Aspiring Entrepreneur Programme to support young Nigerian entrepreneurs with Enterprise training to help them start and grow their businesses. Entrepreneurs would be imparted with the right knowledge and skills they need to be economic leaders in their families and communities. This programme will run all through 2022-2023.
- The programme is funded by the Standard Chartered Foundation and is part of Futuremakers by Standard Chartered, a global initiative to tackle inequality by promoting greater economic inclusion in markets across the globe. Futuremakers supports disadvantaged young people, especially girls and people with visual impairments, to learn new skills and improve their chances of getting a job or starting their own business.
- FATE Foundation aims to support 320 young University students in their penultimate/Final year and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) that are entrepreneurs to improve the transition from ideation to entrepreneurship rates for the selected entrepreneurs, enable the start of new businesses that will potentially create at least 2-3 more job opportunities aside from the founder, enable the development of sustainable businesses due to strong enterprise knowledge foundation and enabling the entrepreneurial ecosystem support to scale youth entrepreneurship in Nigeria.
- FATE Foundation is providing a holistic package and activities that will be implemented during the programme such as Enterprise training (covering key topics such as business model canvas, financial literacy, digital strategies, soft skills, legal & tax requirements, and operations management) ; Business formalization, mentoring support, Advisory and business support to enable the development of a business plan; and Placement for youth entrepreneurs with already existing entrepreneurs/ businesses in their field for a 4-12-week period so that they get firsthand experience of running a business.
- The PWDs cohort would be implemented in Partnership with Project Enable Africa in Lagos.
- The programme will be supporting two sets of beneficiaries, ages between 18-35 in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo: Female and Youth entrepreneurs (those in their penultimate and final year in public tertiary institutions with viable business ideas) and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs).
The key target segments are:
- University students in the penultimate final year in public tertiary institutions in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo states
- Youth Aged 18-35
- PWDs Entrepreneurs
Additional Post Programme Benefits:
- Enterprise Training and Capacity Building
- Growth and Advisory Support
- Business Formalization
- Mentorship and Placement
- Access to Free Business Support Tools & Applications
- Funding and Market Linkages
- Membership of FATE Alumni Network
The curriculum is designed by FATE Foundation to offer an all-inclusive set of courses that addresses all the key tools needed in starting and running an effective business.
The programme goes beyond teaching theoretical conceptions and frameworks to provide practical hands-on application in the current business realities through developing products and services that are market-driven.
These sessions are facilitated by various giants of industries across the entrepreneurial value chain, with its learning structure that includes a combination of interactive class sessions, workshops, case studies, and group activities. The Curriculum is intensive and includes:
- Marketing and Pricing strategies
- Business Model Strategies
- Product development review
- Sector focused sessions/Masterclass
- Funding opportunities within their business ecosystem and value focus
- Digital Strategies & Enablement
- Financial Literacy
- Business pitch skills
The FATE Aspiring Entrepreneur Programme (AEP) in partnership with Youth Business International (YBI) sponsored by Future makers by the Standard Chartered will take place twice a week for 8 weeks using innovative classroom management tools. Lectures will be delivered in modules that afford participants the flexibility of time to run their businesses or jobs, while they participate in the programme. The core part of the program will include the following modules:
- Ideation & design thinking
- Business Modeling
- Effective Marketing &Sales
- Finance Fundamentals
- Managing People
- Nuts & Bolts for your Business
- Managing & Growing your Business
- Technology & Digital Growth
As the classes progress, participants will be developing their plans and making immediate improvements in their respective businesses where necessary.
AEP SCF Futuremakers 2022 timelines:
- PWDs: Monday, March 28, 2022, to Thursday, May 19, 2022
- Lagos: Monday, April 25, 2022, to Friday, June 17, 2022
- Ogun: Monday, September 12, 2022, to Friday, November 4, 2022
- Oyo: Monday, July 4, 2022, to Friday, August 26, 2022
Stage I: Interested applicants can apply using the links below:
After submitting your application, you will get an automatic email with a link to upload the following documents:
- A Profile Picture (headshot facing camera)
- Birth Certificate
- Valid means of Identification
University students would be required to submit additional documents such as
- Admission letter
- Academic reference letter from either Department HOD, Course Advisor or Lecturer.
- Reference letter from a recognized association within Campus or Faith, and Community based Leaders in your community.
Stage II: Following a review of all received applications, candidates will be shortlisted for a 10–20-minute phone/video interview after which forty applicants will be selected for each cohort of the programme.
Through the support of Standard Chartered Foundation Futuremakers, the programme is FREE to all entrepreneurs who successfully scale through the two application stages. This scholarship support from SCF Futuremakers covers all direct course fees including course materials, books, data support and post programme support.
This is in-person training, and it is expected that each entrepreneur enrolled for the programme must be from the location/state where you have applied for the programme. This will also be verified during the short listing/selection process.
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible, you must:
- University students in their penultimate and final year in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo states
- Person with Disability Entrepreneurs
When Can I Apply?
Applications will be open from March 1, 2022. We recommend applicants to register by 4 weeks before the start of the programme.
How many entrepreneurs are you selecting?
Forty (40) Entrepreneurs per cohort
Is there a fee to participate?
No, the programme is free of charge.
How do I know if my application has been successful?
All qualified applicants will be contacted. Once you are contacted, then your application was successful.
Will there be weekend classes?
No, there would be no weekend classes.
Can I make changes in my application after I have submitted it, or can I do a fresh application instead?
No. Once you have submitted, changes can no longer be made.
What is the time involvement expected for participants?
Weekday classes (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Can a member of my team replace me in the program?
No. Only the business owner/founder/co-founder that applied for this programme is allowed to participate.
Where Should I Send any Enquiries?
Email email@example.com Also follow @fatefoundation on Facebook and Instagram to keep up to date.